Aug 5, 2009

Decisions, decisions

After my awkward appointment with Dr. Yeung, I've started looking at my prenatal care options. I'm definitely planning to give birth at BC Women's Hospital, so I need to find a Vancouver-based GP or midwife.

I've been a bit leery of midwifery in the past, simply because I assumed it was loaded with granola, hippie girl-power judgy-ness. This is despite multiple recommendations from people whom I respect. Turns out I may be wrong about it. I've done some research on a few midwifery practices, and it seems I can use them to have a hospital birth, and with an epidural if I want, and without judging. Shock!

The care includes prenatal appointments of 30-45 minutes (drs only give 30 min for the first appt, and 15 min check ups beyond that), possibly more appointments overall, and all the same tests, ultrasounds etc that doctors give. This is good news for someone that might have fifty bajillion questions like me. Also the midwife comes to my house when labour starts, and takes me to the hospital at the right time instead of spending 50 hours there from the very start. And there are 3 home visits in the week after the Tadpole comes home. (Very good for lessening new mom panics, I hope).

I've scheduled a consult with the Midwifery Group on Main for next week. If I like them, I'm probably going to use them.

---

And just for fun, midwifery is actually pronounced MID-WHIFF-ERY. Makes me giggle.

No comments:

Post a Comment